DIET for BONE HEALTH
YOUR DIET HAS A PROFOUND EFFECT ON YOUR BONES. NUTRITION AND BONE HEALTH IS AN IMPORTANT AREA OF CONSIDERATION TODAY.
A nutritious, balanced diet with regular exercise from the early years help in building strong healthy bones.
FOODS WHICH PROMOTE BONE HEALTH
CALCIUM – It is a very important component of our bones.
Sources - Milk & Milk Products, Pulses, Green leafy vegetables, Soyabean.
VITAMIN D – It is essential for the proper utilization of Calcium.
Sources - Sunlight .
PHOSPHORUS – About 80% of Phosphorus in our bodies is found in our bones. In the form of Phosphates, it makes up much of our Bone Mass.
Sources - Milk & Milk Products, Nuts.
FLUORINE – It stimulates the formation of new bones and is required for dental and skeletal development.
Sources - Tea
ISOFLAVONES – A class of Antioxidants which have a protective effect on our bones.
Sources - Soyabean & Soya Products, Legumes,Chickpeas.
MAGNESIUM – Helps in proper bone growth along with Calcium & Phosphorus. Improves the mineral density of bones.
Sources - Leafy Veggies, Whole Wheat Products, Oats, Seeds.
FOODS WHICH HAVE AN ADVERSE EFFECT ON OUR BONE
- CAFFEINE – Interferes with Calcium absorption
- COLA DRINKS – Phosphate in the form of Phosphoric acid present in cola beverages can displace Calcium from the bones making them weak.
- SALT – Excess salt in the diet affects the Calcium balance in the body.
GENERAL TIPS TO PROTECT YOUR BONES
- Reduce body weight to take the extra load off your bones.
- Ensure the inclusion of adequate Calcium as well as Vitamin D in your diet.
- Avoid Fast Foods, items cooked in re-heated oil, processed foods and too much Caffeine.
- Refrain from drinking Cola Beverages
- Include plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits in your daily menu
- Make sure your diet is a balanced one by choosing from a wide variety of foods.
- Quit smoking and intake of too much Alcohol.
DIET & OBESITY
IMPORTANT DIETARY GUIDELINES
- Limit the portion sizes, number of helpings and in-between meal snacks to decrease the total calorie intake.
- Do not skip meals specially Breakfast.
- Weight loss of not more than 0.5 kg per week is advisable. Go for gradual but permanent weight loss.
- Consume Free Foods which act as fillers.
- Increase intake of Fibre as they improve satiety.
- Trick your stomach – take a helping of Free Food before your meals.
- Reduce fat intake by cooking in non-stick cookware and using methods like boiling, roasting, Grilling, steaming or stewing.
Remember – Over-nutrition in childhood has an influence over obesity in later life.
Myths & Misconceptions
- Zero-Carb Diet – Do not omit Carbs instead include them judiciously.
- Zero-Oil Diet – Fat is essential to our system. Total exclusion of oils may result in deficit of Essential Fatty Acids.
- Crash Dieting – Healthy and gradual weight loss is advisable. Crash Diets can harm you!
- Skip Breakfast / Meals – Skipping a meal makes you hungrier for the next besides causing irritability, lethargy and gastric problems.
HIGH CALORIE FOODS – *** AVOID***
Deep- fried Foods like Parathas, Puris,Luchis,Cutlets, Rolls, French-fries, Vadas, Samosas, Bhujia , Fast Foods like Burgers, Pizzas, Patties, Processed Foods, Dry Fruits , Butter, Ghee, Margarine, Cheese, Whole Milk Products, Cakes, Pastries, Cookies, Ice-cream
LOW CALORIE FOODS – CHOOSE
- Fresh Fruits ( except Mango,) and Vegetables
- Low- fat milk and it’s products like un-sweetened curd or chena
- Sprouts, Fermented and Steamed Foods like Dhokla, Sattu, Idlis
FREE FOODS – TAKE LIBERALLY
- Salads - cucumber, tomatos, lettuce, cabbage, capsicum, mint pudina and coriander leaves, chillies
- Clear home-made soups without thickening agents.
- Daab water, Lime- water,
- Boiled Vegetables – lauki, green papaya, khakri, cabbage.
DIETARY GUIDELINES FOR GOUTY PATIENTS
FOODS TO BE AVOIDED
- All kinds of dal & it’s products ( Soyabean, Rajmah, Sattu, Besan, Bori, Papad, Sprouts, Bhujiya, Chanachur, Mangodi, Gatta).
- Spinach, Cauliflower, Peas (Matarshoonti), all kinds of Beans, Seem,
- Yeast containing items
- Coffee & Cocoa products.
TIPS FOR CORRECT EATING
- Excess of fatty foods to be avoided.
- Drink plenty of water/fluids.
- Include low fat dairy products.
- Maintain ideal body weight.